As most of you are probably aware, the annual AERA meeting in San Francisco is quickly approaching. Just 24 more days! In light of this, we want to share some of our suggestions with you about how to make this a successful and fun conference experience. Feel free to add your own advice as a comment below!
- Pack snacks and a refillable water bottle. You’ll probably get hungry or thirsty between your meals, so it’s nice to have something quick handy for between sessions.
- Bring a small notepad and pen. In sessions and conversations, you’ll probably hear information relevant to your work and may think of some interesting ideas, so it’s good to jot those down as they come to you.
- Wear business professional or business casual dress when attending conference events.
- Wear COMFORTABLE shoes. Sometimes sessions are far apart and require a decent walk. Plus, you’ll do a lot of standing at poster sessions and crowded round tables.
- Take breaks! You don’t need to see everything, and taking the time to explore or to reflect is a good way to give your brain a rest.
- Look at the program BEFORE you attend the conference. This conference is huge (and the program is like a book), so you may feel overwhelmed if you wait until the day of to look. Plus, planning ahead keeps you from missing something you really want to see.
- Take some time to check out San Francisco. It’s a beautiful city, and sight-seeing is a good way to break up a long day of sessions. You’ll already be there, so why not??