Sunday, June 19, 2011

Passports for AERA 2012

Since AERA 2012 is in Canada, we wish to remind you that you must have a passport to enter the country if you are not Canadian. If you do not already have one, you must acquire one. We apologize that we do not have detailed information on international passports. This post provides information on applying for U.S. passports. However, we have sourced out a link to information on visitor visas to Canada:

Visiting Canada - FAQs on visas and more

Currently it is taking 4 to 6 weeks for U.S. passport applications to be processed, but allowing for 10 weeks is a safe choice. Although the expiration date is listed on your passport, know that passports remain valid for ten years provided you were at least 16 years of age when it was issued. In addition, while passport cards are less expensive, unless you are driving to Vancouver, they will be worthless, as they are only valid for land border crossings. So if at this point you have determined you need a U.S. passport, here is what you need to do.

1. You must submit the DS-11 form (link below) in person if:
  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change
    This will cost $135 which can be paid via any of the four major credit cards, debit cards, checks/money orders made payable to "Department of State." Bring a form of picture id, two passport photos, and one of the following pieces of proof of U.S. citizenry: certified birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or certificate of citizenship.

    The following links will help you determine places where you can apply for your passport in person.

    2. If you only need to renew your passport, you can do so by mail using the Form DS-82. You can visit the link below to fill out the paperwork, print, and sign it. You will mail this paperwork, your most recent passport, one new passport photo, $110 (which can be paid via any of the four major credit cards, debit cards, checks/money orders made payable to "Department of State"), and a marriage certificate or court order if your current name is different from what was recorded in your most recent U.S. passport.

    It costs an additional $60 to expedite the processing of your passport application, so it is better to be proactive now. We hope you are enjoying your summer. Don’t forget that the proposal deadline is July 22nd, only about a month away! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment