Thursday, January 16, 2014

Graduate Student Liaison Spotlight: Meet Yi Jiang

Name: Yi Jiang
Hometown: ShangHai, China           
Current university: Korea University, South Korea
Program: PhD in Educational Psychology
Advisor: Dr. Sung-il Kim and Dr. Mimi Bong
Graduation year: Spring 2015
Hobbies: Traveling, watching movies, and playing basketball

How did you decide to go to graduate school?
            I decided to go to graduate school simply because I have experienced so many difficulties during my short term teaching period. I felt the need of knowing more about students’ motivation processes in learning situation. After I graduate from master program, I realized that I prefer doing research rather than teaching in the school, so I made a commitment to devote myself into academic field and started my PhD program.

 What did you do before going to graduate school?
            My major in undergraduate school is teaching Chinese as a foreign language, I came to South Korea and became a Chinese language teacher after I graduated. This one year teaching experience was amazing. I met lots of wonderful friends and decided to start my graduate life at Korea University.

What do you like best about your program/school?
The greatest advantage of educational psychology program in Korea University is that we have an interdisciplinary consolidation of motivation research. We can learn and apply diverse research methods and techniques such as brain-imaging, laboratory and field experiments, surveys, and longitudinal modeling to develop a comprehensive model of human motivation. All the courses are taught in English so there is no language gap for foreign students. Besides, the colleagues here are friendly and the professors are supportive. I like the learning environment here a lot. My lab, brain and motivation research institute, holds an annual symposium on motivation. Famous researchers from all around the world were invited to the seminar and to interact with graduate students.

What are you current research interests?
            I have great interest in neuro-education, which is a novel and viable research field. I think it is inevitable for educational psychology field to integrate neuro-biological evidences in order to understand human motivation comprehensively. I have conducted several studies by using neuro-imaging technique such as testing the neural correlates of different types of reward contingency and examining the effects of informative feedback on emotion regulation. In addition, I am also interested in how academic interest develops, how perceived competence and value interacts and then influences self-regulation.     

What is your favorite article and why?
            I enjoyed lots of good papers and it is hard to choose a particular article as favorite. Both latest empirical articles about motivation and neuropsychological and oldest theoretical paper about various motivation theories are fascinating and worth reading.  

What was your proudest moment or greatest accomplishment?
            I think the greatest accomplishment in my past graduate life was that I completed my master thesis as an independent researcher. It was a neuro-imaging study and has been presented at the 16th annual meeting of Organization for Human Brain Mapping. The paper is currently under review for journal publication, and I hope it can bring me another gratifying moment.

Is there anything else you would want the Division C members to know?

            I think Division C cares a lot about its student members. However, it will be great if more students, especially those from outside the U.S main land, have more opportunity to participate in various activities that hold by Division C.

No comments:

Post a Comment